I am as amazed by the positivity he reflects as most of the people in the country are! From a tea seller in Gujarat to becoming one of the most popular Prime Ministers the world has seen in the recent times, Sri Narendra Damodardas Modi has travelled a long way. He has been controversy’s child for many years. But that never deterred his journey from becoming the mass leader of the world’s largest democratic republic. Keeping his politics and controversies aside, his self-discovery and journey to become the best are inspirational to look at. He owes much of his discipline and success to his uncompromising values he was taught as a child and following the path of a Yogi. It is interesting to see his journey to self-discovery and success, as one of the most popular leaders the world has ever seen so far.
That he was a tea seller is something every child knows now. He used to help his father run his tea stall in Gujarat and later took over its running. His joining the RSS or the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh at the tender age of 8 influenced his life considerably. He left home at the age of 17 as he could not come to terms with the arranged marriage he was forced into. Two main qualities that helped Modi rise to this level are his talent to debate and public speaking. According to his teachers, Modi, though being an average student, was really good at playing larger than life characters in theatre and debating.
He travelled across Northern and North-Eastern India for about 2 years after his graduation while being an active member of the RSS. He was much attracted by Swami Vivekananda’s principles and following the same he tried to join some Ashram’s across these regions. But he was rejected because he lacked a basic graduation. These rejections later prompted him to complete his graduate degree in political science and later a master’s degree in Arts by distance education. By this time he was actively working for the RSS and BJP. But he took a break in 1992 and built a school in Ahmadabad. Though this is rumoured to be because of a rift among some of his peers in politics, he took his time off in a creative way by contributing to the school he founded during this period.
When he returned to electoral politics, he took some out of the way and stern decisions, sometimes, even questioning the senior leaders in the party which earned him some enemies within the party. But he did not deter and stood by his conviction and showed the party and the state that he made the right decisions. Even though he faced serious allegations within the country and was even banned from visiting the USA owing to these allegations, he came out clean in the court of law and continued his journey to become the top leader of his party. His (and his party’s) winnings post the allegations and till date has been historic, in spite of the media hate.
His life and success story are quite inspirational in many ways. His conviction and the effort he takes to make his dream for the country come true are inspiring even the children and the common people to keep going strong and positive. The very same countries that once looked at him suspiciously and denied a Visa were looking forward to welcoming him with grace and respect he rightly deserves.
I think his life journey influences one to implement these simple lessons of life which can make amazing changes for good:
- Change one’s thoughts and deeds to match one’s passion. Modi’s decision to leave the family and pursue a journey to understand life changed his perceptions.
- Nurture one’s Passions as it would lead them to success one day. He nurtured his talent for public speaking and debating which has earned him high respect and popularity among the people.
- Adopt knowledge and technology as these can take one a long way forward. Modi was quick to adopt the latest technologies to popularise his work and also uses it to the benefit of the country’s development.
- Use one’s time most creatively and positively without wasting a minute. Modi’s style of working 16 to 18 hours a day, even while travelling, is remarkable. He has become a role model for his followers, and even non-followers, in terms of the effort he puts.
- Turn deaf and blind to immaterial allegations and aim for success. His success is proof to this!
- Be humble, in spite of your success. Modi considers himself as the Prime Servant of the country rather than the Prime Minister!
- Exercise can help you stay healthy and energetic. Modi practices an hour of Yoga and still considers that as the source of his energy.
- Never forget your roots. Modi firmly believes in the true spirits of being an Indian and follows the tradition to its core. Being the Prime Minister does not deter him from respecting the elders and traditions.
Image Courtesy – http://www.bjp.org